Friendly URL: wesconnect.wesleyan.edu/groups-councils
Wesleyan Councils are created to enrich engagement of alumni and parents with each other and with Wesleyan via interest-focused affinity groups. Each council provides an opportunity to build networks and share expertise related to a specific aspect of the university. To date, the following councils have been developed:
Establishing a Council
Councils are established by the university in collaboration with alumni and parent volunteers. The university may initiate a Council to engage interested constituents as advisors to particular administrative or academic departments, such as the Career Resource Center or the Athletics Department. Alumni or parent volunteers may also initiate a Council when a significant number of volunteers demonstrate a shared affinity which university staff believes benefits Wesleyan and enhances the volunteers’ engagement and support of the university.
Expectations of a Council
In collaboration with university liaison:
- Define the Council’s mission and purpose
- Identify a chair and vice chair to serve two-year terms
- Plan goals and objectives for the year
- Develop strategies and activities to accomplish goals and objectives
- Provide advice to the university as needed
- Meet on campus at least once per year
- Maintain communication with members through e-mail and mail
- Actively support Wesleyan fundraising efforts
If you have questions or would like more information about Councils, please contact Meg Zocco, Director of Alumni and Parent Engagement, firstname.lastname@example.org or (860) 685-2799.