THANK YOU for making the second annual WEServe Week of Service (January 19–25, 2014) a success! More photos to come… #WEServe #THISISWHY
We are looking for volunteers from around the globe to step up as "project captains." Captains can be alumni, parents, or students...anyone who considers themselves a member of the Wesleyan community! Captains will plan a service project of any kind and send us the details before January 3. We will publicize, take registrations, and provide each captain with a project kit. Captains run the show on-site and agree to send us photos and a list of participants. All projects should take place during the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday week, January 19–25.
Clean up a park, read to children, or organize the food pantry. Or, build a database, write a social media plan, or audit the books for a non-profit startup. Find ways to use Wesleyan hands and Wesleyan minds to serve others! Projects can involve 2 people to 200+ people, and they can take place during the day or evening. Some may be suitable for children and families. We suggest that you do not do fund raising. Although this initiative is confined to a single week, we hope it will make connections that lead to more volunteerism and community support in the future.
- January 3: Deadline for project captains to submit project details.
- January 16: Deadline for participants to sign up for one or more projects.
- January 19-25: Projects take place in cities and towns around the world.
- Starting January 20: We will share photos and stories from all projects.
WEServe Week of Service Steering Committee
- Greg Bernard, Associate Director, Alumni and Parent Relations, Wesleyan University
- Makaela (Steinberg) Kingsley '98, Director of Wesleyan's Patricelli Center for Social Entrepreneurship (PCSE)
- Cathy (Crimmins) Lechowicz, Director of Wesleyan’s Center for Community Partnerships
- Jelisa Adair '13, Civic Engagement Coordinator, Wesleyan University
- Stephen McCarthy ’75, Co-Founder, Wesleyan Alumni in Philanthropy and Public Service (WAPPS)
- Muzzy Rosenblatt '87, PCSE Advisory Board Member; Executive Director, Bowery Residents Committee (BRC)
- Miranda Linsky ’14, WesCFPA (Connecticut Forest & Park Association) Coordinator
WEServe began in January of 2013, and the idea came from an alumna and staff member, Makaela Kingsley '98, Director of the Patricelli Center for Social Entrepreneurship. As an alumna of Wesleyan, she understands how making a difference is a part of the culture and identity of Wesleyan, and wanted to create a way in which alumni all over the world could do so in their own communities, with guidance and support from the institution. Over the past few years, Over 70 community service projects have been coordinated by 30 alumni project captains in 20+ cities nation-wide...with over 200 alumni, students, faculty and staff participating!
Contact Christine Colfer in the Office of Alumni and Parent Relations at (860) 685-3933 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
WEEK OF SERVICE CALENDAR
|Display Filter: |