January 19–25, 2014 / Wesleyan alumni impact their communities every day. The second annual WEServe Week of Service is a time to celebrate this by participating in a service project in your hometown, side-by-side with other members of the Wesleyan community. #WEServe #THISISWHY
We are looking for volunteers from around the globe to step up as "project captains." Captains will plan a service project of any kind and send us the details before January 3. We will publicize, take registrations, and mail each captain a project kit. Captains run the show on-site and agree to send us photos and a list of participants. All projects should take place during the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday week, January 19–25.
Clean up a park, read to children, or organize the food pantry. Or, build a database, write a social media plan, or audit the books for a non-profit startup. Find ways to use Wesleyan hands and Wesleyan minds to serve others! Projects can involve 2 people to 200+ people, and they can take place during the day or evening. Some may be suitable for children and families. We suggest that you do not do fundraising. Although this initiative is confined to a single week, we hope it will make connections that lead to more volunteerism and community support in the future. For more information and suggestions for launching a project, visit the Resources for Project Captains.
- January 3: Deadline for project captains to submit project details
- January 16: Deadline for participants to sign up for one or more projects
- January 19-25: Projects take place in cities and towns around the world
- Starting January 20: We will share photos and stories from all projects
WEServe Week of Service Steering Committee
- Greg Bernard, Associate Director, Alumni and Parent Relations, Wesleyan University
- Makaela (Steinberg) Kingsley '98, Director of Wesleyan's Patricelli Center for Social Entrepreneurship (PCSE)
- Cathy (Crimmins) Lechowicz, Director of Wesleyan’s Center for Community Partnerships
- Jelisa Adair '13, Civic Engagement Coordinator, Wesleyan University
- Stephen McCarthy ’75, Co-Founder, Wesleyan Alumni in Philanthropy and Public Service (WAPPS)
- Muzzy Rosenblatt '87, PCSE Advisory Board Member; Executive Director, Bowery Residents Committee (BRC)
- Miranda Linsky ’14, WesCFPA (Connecticut Forest & Park Association) Coordinator
During the 2013 WEServe Week of Service, 23 volunteer “project captains” organized 39 community service opportunities in 17 cities and towns around the world.
Contact Christine Colfer in the Office of Alumni and Parent Relations at (860) 685-3933 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Display Filter: |
Monday, January 20, 2014
Wednesday, January 22, 2014
Saturday, January 25, 2014