Brochure and Reservation Form
ITINERARY (May 1 to May 10, 2013)
France * Ireland * Wales * Scotland
May 1 to May 10
(Approximately $5,395 plus air)
1 Depart from the U.S. or Canada
2 Paris, France/Honfleur/Embark M.S. LE BOREAL
3 Caen (Normandy Beaches)
4 At Sea
5 Dublin, Ireland
6 Holyhead, Wales (Caernarfon)
7 Isle of Iona, Scotland/Tobermory, Isle of Mull
8 Portree, Isle of Skye
9 Kirkwall, Orkney Islands
10 Edinburgh/Disembark M.S. LE BOREAL /Return to the U.S. or Canada
Activity Level: Moderately Active
- Enjoy a rare opportunity to cruise with two famous historians:
- David Eisenhower—General and President Dwight D. Eisenhower’s grandson and esteemed political scientist and American historian—and Celia Sandys—Sir Winston Churchill’s granddaughter and internationally recognized author and speaker.
- Cruise for eight nights from Honfluer, France, to Ireland, Wales and Scotland.
- Cruise aboard the exclusively chartered M.S. LE BOREAL, an intimate vessel combining innovative design with personalized service and featuring private balconies in 95% of the spacious and deluxe outside suites and staterooms.
- Enjoy spacious and deluxe outside accommodations aboard the exclusively chartered M.S. LE BOREAL, an intimate vessel that set unprecedented standards in elegance and comfort when it launched in 2010.
- Visit cities, villages and islands that abound with the living Celtic heritage, calling at ports accessible only to small ships.
- Visit Normandy’s hallowed beaches and the American Cemetery 69 years after Allied forces made their historic D-Day landings.
- Walk in the footsteps of medieval princes in North Wales at the 700-year-old Caernarfon Castle, a UNESCO World Heritage site.
- Delve into the fascinating Neolithic history of the Orkney Islands with visits to the UNESCO World Heritage sites of the Ring of Brodgar and Skara Brae.
- Explore the exquisite cultural and architectural treasures of Dublin, including a viewing of the Book of Kells.
- Admire the splendid beauty of the age-old Snowdonia Mountains in Wales.
- Spend a morning on the Isle of Iona, last bastion of monastic life in the British Isles.
- Tour the colorful fishing port of Tobermory on the Isle of Mull.
- Visit historic Dunvegan Castle, seat of the MacLeods and repository of the Fairy Flag, in the lovely town of Portree on the Isle of Skye.
- Complement your cruise with the two-night Paris Pre-Cruise Option and the two-night Edinburgh Post-Cruise Option.
- Enjoy complimentary house wine, beer, soft drinks, mineral water, coffee and tea with dinners on board the M.S. LE BOREAL.
M.S. LE BOREAL
The deluxe M.S. LE BOREAL, which has received high accolades in its inaugural year (2010-2011), is a new generation small ship of the highest quality and features distinctive French sophistication and unique itineraries exclusively designed by Gohagan and Company.
SPACIOUS SUITES AND STATEROOMS, MOST WITH BALCONIES
Ninety-five percent of the large, deluxe, air-conditioned, outside Staterooms and Suites (from 200 to 484 square feet) feature private balconies. Most accommodations have two twin beds that convert to one queen‑size bed; each has a private bathroom with shower (bathtub in limited number of Staterooms) and the luxurious amenities of a fine hotel, including: individual climate control, satellite flatscreen television, wireless Internet access, safe, minibar, full-length closet, writing desk/dressing table and plush robes.
CHIC AND CASUAL DINING
International and regional cuisine is served in the stylish, spacious La Licorne dining room in single, unassigned seatings, alfresco in the casual indoor-outdoor La Boussole restaurant or from 24‑hour room service. Continental and buffet breakfast, buffet lunch, afternoon tea and a four‑course dinner are served daily. Complimentary wine and beer are served with dinner.
SPACIOUS PUBLIC AREAS/WORLD-CLASS SERVICE AND FACILITIES
Enjoy views from the Panoramic Lounge; nightly entertainment in the Main Lounge; and lectures, cultural performances and film screenings in the state-of-the-art theater. There is a library, Internet salon, Sun Deck, swimming pool, beauty salon, spa, Turkish bath‑style steam room, full range of fitness equipment and two elevators. The infirmary is staffed with a doctor and nurse. The highly trained and personable English-speaking international crew provides attentive service.
RESPECT FOR THE ENVIRONMENT
The state-of-the-art propulsion system and custom-built stabilizers provide an exceptionally smooth, quiet and comfortable voyage by minimizing vibration and engine noise. The ship company is proud of its Clean Ship standing, an extreme rarity among ocean cruising vessels, as its commitment to energy efficiency and environmental protection of marine ecosystems is of paramount importance. The ship has two tenders.
Historians Celia Sandys and David Eisenhower, grandchildren of Prime Minister Winston Churchill and General and President Dwight D. Eisenhower, accompany you to the D-Day Beaches.
ON BOARD THE DELUXE M.S. LE BOREAL
- Eight-night cruise from Honfleur, France, to Edinburgh, Scotland, with port calls at Caen (for Normandy Beaches), France; Dublin, Ireland; Holyhead, Wales; and the Isles of Iona, Tobermory, Portree and Kirkwall, Scotland.
- Spacious outside accommodations with private bathroom and individual stateroom climate control.
- Captain’s welcome and farewell receptions.
- All meals—continental breakfast, buffet breakfast, buffet lunch, afternoon tea and dinner—throughout the cruise, featuring fine international and regional cuisine, served at single, unassigned seatings.
- Complimentary house wine, beer, soft drinks, mineral water, coffee and tea with dinner.Full-day excursion to the D-Day landing beaches and the American Cemetery, including a visit to the D-Day Museum or the historic Bayeux Tapestry, with lunch in a traditional restaurant in Arromanches.
- Overview tour of Dublin, featuring the National Museum of Ireland and the Book of Kells.
- Visit to Bodnant Garden and Caernarfon Castle, a UNESCO World Heritage site, and drive through the Snowdonia Mountains, Wales.
- Excursions to the Inner Hebridean Isles of Iona, Mull and Skye, and the Orkney Islands featuring the Abbey of Iona, Torosay Castle, Dunvegan Castle, the Ring of Brodgar and Skara Brae.
ENHANCED TRAVEL SERVICES
- All transfers and luggage handling abroad for all participants who have purchased their international air tickets through Gohagan & Company and whose arrival(s)/departure(s) coincide with the scheduled group transfer(s).
- All excursions and visits, as outlined in the itinerary, led by experienced, English-speaking local guides.
- Gratuities for local guides and drivers on included excursions and transfers.
- Experienced Travel Directors to accompany you throughout the travel program.
- Hospitality desk aboard the ship.
- Travel document wallet, name badge and pre-departure information.
PARIS PRE-CRUISE OPTION
Named for its original Celtic inhabitants, Paris is an ideal two-night prelude to your cruise. Tour the private, 19th-century mansion and art collection of the Musee Jacquemart-Andre and see Paris’ most famous landmarks. Accommodations are in Paris’ deluxe INTERCONTINENTAL PARIS LE GRAND, located adjacent to the Opera Garnier. This Pre-Cruise Option is available at additional cost, and details will be provided with your reservation confirmation.
EDINBURGH POST-CRUISE OPTION
Intertwining with Celtic history for almost a millennium, Scotland’s Edinburgh is an exceptional two‑night conclusion to your cruise. Tour the brooding 12th-century Edinburgh Castle, visit the Museum of Scotland and see the city’s Neoclassical and Georgian architectural treasures. Your accommodations for two nights are in a deluxe, centrally located hotel. This Post-Cruise Option is available at additional cost, and details will be provided with your reservation confirmation.
For additional information on the Travel with Wesleyan program,please contact Meg Zocco, director of alumni and parent engagement, at (860) 685-2799.