Ancient Kingdoms of China (Beijing, Xi’an, Shanghai) * River Cruise * Julie Nixon Eisenhower
ITINERARY (June 4 to 19, 2013)
1 Depart from the U.S. or Canada/Cross the International Date Line
2 Beijing, China
6 Xi’an/Chongqing/Embark M.V. VICTORIA SOPHIA
7 Three Gorges–Qutang, Wu and Xiling Gorges (Daning River/Small Gorges)
8 Maoping and the Three Gorges Dam
10 Guichi (for Huangshan)
12 Shanghai/Disembark M.V. VICTORIA SOPHIA
15 Shanghai/Return to the U.S. or Canada
- Meet Julie Nixon Eisenhower, who will share her perspectives on China the pivotal role her late father, President Richard M. Nixon, played in bringing Communist China out of isolation and re-opening U.S. relations for the first time since 1949.
- Discover the many faces of China during this enlightening 15-day journey featuring a six-night Grand Cruise on the fabled Yangtze River, sailing all the way from Chongqing downstream to Shanghai.
- Tour the Three Gorges Dam, the world’s largest dam, which is slowly transforming China’s landscape and the fabric of its society.
- Tour three sites along the Yangtze seldom visited by Westerners: Wuhan, settled more than 3,000 years ago by the Han Dynasty; Huangshan, the majestic mountain range and a UNESCO World Heritage site; and Nanjing, the impressive former capital of China.
- Spend three nights in a deluxe hotel in the heart of Beijing, with excursions revealing the unrivaled imperial riches of Tiananmen Square, the largest public square in the world.
- Enjoy one night in a deluxe, centrally located hotel in the ancient capital of Xi’an and immerse yourself in the city’s exquisite treasures.
- Admire the dramatic contrasts of Shanghai, one of the world’s most dynamic cultural and commercial centers, with three nights in a deluxe, centrally located hotel.
- Enjoy excursions featuring five UNESCO World Heritage sites—the mystical Forbidden City and the Summer Palace in Beijing; the Great Wall of China at Badaling; the terra cotta warriors of Emperor Qin Shihuang, whose discovery in 1974 is considered one of the greatest archaeological finds of all time; and Huangshan, one of China’s most famous and picturesque mountain ranges.
- Savor sumptuous Chinese and continental cuisine on board the M.V. VICTORIA SOPHIA.
- Enjoy exclusive onboard lectures by Study Leaders.
- Enjoy complimentary house wine with dinners on board the M.V. VICTORIA SOPHIA.
M.V. VICTORIA SOPHIA
All Gohagan & Company cruises in China are aboard a premier vessel in the Victoria Cruises fleet. The deluxe M.V. VICTORIA SOPHIA, refurbished in 2011, will set the standard for modern comfort and elegance in cruising the Yangtze River. It was designed by a U.S. architectural firm and custom-built to conform to Western standards.
Guests are accommodated in 104 spacious outside Staterooms and Suites elegantly decorated in contemporary Chinese and Western styles and featuring floor-to-ceiling windows that open onto a private balcony, from which passengers can view the stunning scenery of the Three Gorges and the Yangtze River. Each Stateroom and Suite includes private bathroom facilities with shower, air conditioning, telephone and satellite television with English and international channels.
Highly skilled chefs prepare sumptuous Chinese and continental cuisine, which is served in two elegant restaurants—a single-seating main dining room and an �-la-carte restaurant on the top deck. Meals include breakfast, lunch and dinner served in single, unassigned seatings. Complimentary house wine and beer are included during dinner. Coffee and tea are served throughout the cruise.
Shipboard entertainment and exercise programs feature aspects of traditional Chinese culture. Public areas include a lounge (with Wi-Fi available) and bar, observation deck, library, gift shop, beauty salon and fitness center. Laundry service is available and a physician is on board.
The M.V. VICTORIA SOPHIA has a highly trained, English-speaking crew that provides a superior level of personalized, amiable service that will ensure a delightful Yangtze River travel experience.
Exclusive and Specially Arranged Guest Speaker!
Julie Nixon Eisenhower
The younger daughter of 37th U.S. President Richard M. Nixon, former Assistant Managing Editor of The Saturday Evening Post and author of Pat Nixon: The Untold Story.
In Beijing, China
- Three nights in the deluxe PENINSULA BEIJING, located in the center of the city.
- Full Western breakfast each morning.
- Welcome Reception.
- Tour featuring the legendary Forbidden City, a UNESCO World Heritage site, and Tiananmen Square.
- Excursion to the UNESCO World Heritage site of the Great Wall of China at Badaling, with lunch.
- Visit to the Summer Palace, a UNESCO World Heritage site.
Air transportation from Beijing to Xi’an.
In Xi’an, China
- One night in a deluxe hotel located in the center of the city.
- Full Western breakfast and one dinner.
- Excursion to the vast complex of the Terra Cotta Warriors, a UNESCO World Heritage site, with a specially arranged on-site expert presentation.
- Visit to the Yangling Imperial Mausoleum, a unique discovery rivaling the Terra Cotta Warriors.
Air transportation from Xi’an to Chongqing
On board the exclusively chartered, deluxe M.V. VICTORIA SOPHIA
In Shanghai, China
- Six-night Yangtze River cruise from Chongqing to Shanghai, China, with port calls at Wushan (for the Daning River and Small Gorges), Maoping (for the Three Gorges Dam), Wuhan, Guichi (for Huangshan) and Nanjing.
- Outside stateroom with private balcony and private bathroom facilities.
- Captain’s Welcome Reception.
- Three meals each day (breakfast, lunch and dinner).
- Complimentary house wine served at dinner.
- Complimentary coffee or tea throughout the day.
- T'ai chi exercise sessions during the cruise.
- Program of lectures during the cruise.
- Boat cruise on the Daning River into the dramatic Three Small Gorges, and transit and tour of the Three Gorges Dam, the world’s largest dam complex.
- Excursion in the city of Wuhan.
- Full-day excursion to Huangshan, one of China’s most famous and picturesque mountain ranges and a UNESCO World Heritage site.
- City tour of Nanjing, featuring a visit to Sun Yat-Sen Memorial.
- Captain’s Farewell Dinner Banquet.
Enhanced Travel Services
- Three nights in a deluxe, centrally located hotel.
- Full Western breakfast each morning.
- Tour of Shanghai including the famed Bund and the colonial-era French Concession.
- Tour of the Shanghai Museum of Art.
- Farewell Reception.
- All transfers and luggage handling abroad for all participants who have purchased their international air tickets through Gohagan & Company and whose arrival(s)/departure(s) coincide with the scheduled group transfer(s).
- All excursions and visits, as outlined in the Included Features, led by experienced, English-speaking local guides.
- Gratuities for local guides and drivers on included excursions and transfers.
- Experienced Travel Directors to accompany you throughout the travel program.
- Hospitality desk aboard the ship.
- Travel document wallet, name badge and pre-departure information.
GUILIN AND HONG KONG, CHINA POST-PROGRAM OPTION
Explore the picturesque old city of Guilin, a traditional Chinese community dating from the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644), and the bustling metropolis of Hong Kong on this three-night extension highlighting the fascinating contrasts of a land in transition from the old to the new.
This Post-Program Option is available at additional cost, and details will be provided with your reservation confirmation.
For additional information on the Travel with Wesleyan program, please contact Meg Zocco
, director of alumni and parent engagement, at (860) 685-2799.