ITINERARY (September 30 to October 8, 2013)
1 Depart from the U.S. or Canada
2 Florence, Italy
3 Florence (Pisa option)
5 Florence (Chianti Region)
6 Florence/San Gimignano/Siena
8 Siena (Montalcino/Sant’Antimo)
9 Siena/Rome/Return to the U.S. or Canada
: Moderately Active
- Spend one full week experiencing the rhythms of daily life in Tuscany, its Etruscan and medieval history, the exquisite artistic and architectural legacy of great Italian Renaissance masters and the centuries-old secrets of world-renowned wine and olive oil.
- Explore Florence and the walled, medieval hill town of Siena, both UNESCO World Heritage sites, from centrally located deluxe hotels.
- Explore Florence, the “Cradle of the Renaissance” and a UNESCO World Heritage site, with a visit to the famous Galleria dell’Accademia to see Michelangelo’s David and visit the Uffizi Gallery.
- Learn the untold secrets of Siena’s historic contrade (neighborhoods) during a special guided tour.
- Visit the “City of Beautiful Towers” and UNESCO World Heritage site San Gimignano, one of the best-preserved and most beautiful hill towns in Italy.
- Discuss life in Tuscany during the exclusive VILLAGE FORUM™ with local residents.
- Sample the exquisite wines of Chianti.
- Listen to monks perform Gregorian chants in the 11th-century Abbey of Sant’Antimo.
- Attend a special seminar on Tuscan olive oil with a tasting, and visit a local pasta maker.
- Create and taste authentic Tuscan cuisine during the specially arranged, optional cooking class and dinner.
- Join the optional excursion to the beautifully preserved medieval city of Pisa.
FLORENCE’S HOTEL CERRETANI
In the heart of Florence, the deluxe HOTEL CERRETANI FIRENZE, located in a historic, 17th-century, Florentine Renaissance building, provides accommodations for four nights in contemporary and comfortable style. Each inviting room features a marble bathroom and refined amenities.The restaurant’s sophisticated and intimate atmosphere perfectly complements an excellent selection of wines and authentic cuisine.
Siena’s HOTEL ATHENA
Experience traditional Tuscan hospitality amid the medieval splendors of Siena with three nights in the delightful HOTEL ATHENA. Located within the walls of the medieval city, this inviting hotel offers comfortable, stylish accommodations while combining old-world charm and exceptional service with 21st-century amenities.Breakfast and dinner are served in the hotel’s appealing restaurant. Meals are prepared with fresh ingredients and feature the refined flavors and rustic simplicity of classic Tuscan cuisine.
- Four nights in the centrally located, deluxe HOTEL CERRETANI FIRENZE.
- Breakfast each morning.
- Private welcome reception in the hotel with Tuscan wine and cheese.
Scenic transfer to Siena with a tour of San Gimignano en route, including lunch.
Tours and excursions led by expert local guides
- Three nights in the charming HOTEL ATHENA located within Siena’s historic city center.
- Breakfast each day, two-course lunches on select tours and several three-course dinners with house wine.
Exclusive Cultural Enrichments
- Full-day tour in Florence, a UNESCO World Heritage site, center of the Italian Renaissance, featuring a visit to the famous Galleria dell’Accademia to see Michelangelo’s David and to the Uffizi Gallery.
- Half-day architectural walking tour of Siena, a UNESCO World Heritage site, and its most famous landmarks, including the Palazzo Pubblico, the Duomo and the contrade.
- In-depth tour of the world-renowned wine-producing region of Chianti.
- Tour of the “City of Beautiful Towers,” San Gimignano, a UNESCO World Heritage site, and one of the best preserved and most beautiful medieval towns in Italy, with lunch.
- Seminar on Tuscan olive oil followed by a visit to a local artisanal pasta maker who will demonstrate the art of making Italy’s most famous food.
- Specially arranged wine tasting in Chianti and a traditional Tuscan lunch.
- Exclusive VILLAGE FORUM™ with local residents who will discuss daily life in Tuscany.
- Performance of Gregorian chants by monks in the 12th-century Abbey of Sant’Antimo in the heart of the Tuscan countryside and a visit to Montalcino.
COMPREHENSIVE TRAVEL SERVICES
- All transfers and luggage handling abroad for all participants who have purchased their air tickets through Gohagan & Company and whose arrival(s)/departure(s) coincide with the scheduled group transfer(s).
- Gratuities for local guides and drivers on included excursions and transfers.
- Experienced Program Director to accompany you throughout the travel program.
- Hospitality desk in the hotel.
- Travel document wallet, name badge and pre-departure information.
- Cooking School and Pisa optional excursions available at additional cost.
ROME POST-PROGRAM OPTION
The “Eternal City” of Rome, a UNESCO World Heritage site and capital of the ancient Roman Empire, showcasing the magnificent landmarks from its centuries as a center of power, culture and religion, is the ideal conclusion to your tour. See the city’s ancient monuments including The Roman Forum and Colosseum, Temple of Julius Caesar and Capital Square. Join a gathering at St. Peter’s Square for the Papal Audience and receive the Pope’s blessing (Papal schedule permitting). Tour St. Peter Basilica and the Vatican Museums. Accommodations for two nights in the ideally located, deluxe ROSE GARDEN PALACE-ROME HOTEL. This Post-Program Option is available at additional cost. Details will be provided with your reservation confirmation.
For additional information on the Travel with Wesleyan program, please contact Jennifer Healey, assistant director for alumni and parent programs at (860) 685-2636.